Every month IHS Markit produce a vehicle sales facts report for the industry. Below is a summary of these reports year to date and for September that we think will interest car buyers and sellers.
Sales Market Decline
September saw the new car sales market decline again overall for the second month straight. Year To Date now the market is down 5.4% on 2016.
The Winner and Losers
- SUV's have declined in sales by 1.3% year to year but declined 5.4% September to September.
- Passenger vehicles have declined an alarming 9.3% year to year.
- Hatchbacks managed an increase of 3% year to year.
- Sedans a huge 17.5% decline year to year.
- Private 51.1%
- Business 36.9%
- Government 2.8%
- Rental 9.3%
YTD Top Ten Brands?
- Mercedes Benz
How are the brands doing for this year?
And the losers were:
- Toyota finished September -.8% year to year
- Mazda the big losers at -15.9% year to year
- Hyundai big losers at -13.8% year to year
- Holden also losing at -16.5% year to year
But the winners were:
- Mitsubishi growing 19.7% year to year
- Kia growing 26.4% year to year
- Subaru growing 14.6% year to year
- Honda growing 16.1% year to year
- Mercedes growing 24% year to year
- Volkswagen growing 7.2% year to year
So what were some of the best movers?
- Toyota Camry Sedan up 12.1%
- Toyota Kluger up 18.4%
- Mazda CX-9 up 7.3%
- Hyundai Elantra Sedan up 47%
- Holden Barina up 98.1%
- Holden Commodore Sedan 8.6%
- Mitsubishi Lancer Sedan up 65.9%
- Mitsubishi Outlander SUV up 80.6%
- Mitsubish Pajero Sport up 37.6%
- Kia Cerato Hatchback up 31.5%
- Kia Picanto up 73.8%
- Kia Sportage up 17.2%
- Subaru XV SUV up 100.5%
- Subaru Impreza Hatchback up 373.5%
- Subaru Impreza Sedan up 395.1%
- Honda Civic Hatchback up 61.4%
- Honda CR-V up 61%
- Mercedes A Class up 44.4%
- Mercedes C-Class Sedna up 70.4%
- Mercedes GLA SUV up 27.6%
- Volkswagen Golf up 20.3%
- Volkswagen Tiguan up 14.6%
And some of the cars that have declined in sales?
- Toyota Aurion down 31%
- Toyota Corolla Hatchback down 6.2%
- Toyota RAV 4 down 10.2%
- Mazda CX-5 down 28.2%
- Mazda 3 Hatchback down 17.4%
- Mazda 3 Sedan down 25%
- Hyundai Accent sedan down 27.8%
- Hyundai i30 down 15.1%
- Hyundai Sonata down 64.5%
- Hyundai Veloster down 69.9%
- Holden Captiva down 27.2%
- Mitsubishi Mirage down 77.3%
- Subaru WRX Sedna down 41.8%
- Subaru Levorg Wagon down 64.4%
- Subaru Liberty Sedan down 55.4%
- Honda Civic Sedan down 50%
- Honda Jazzz down 23.9%
- Mercedes GLA Wagon down 19.7%
- Mercedes C-Class Coupe down 28%
- Volkswagen Polo down 28.3%